Macrocyclic/Bio-Inorganic Chemistry Tutorial#1
1. Discuss the preparation and bonding of metal porphyrins
2. The stability of metal octaethylporphyrin complexes in acid shows
good correlation with The Stability Index. Outline the various
classes of stability and how this index has been useful in predicting
the stability of metal porphyrins.
3. A number of methods have been used to prevent the irreversible
oxidation of iron(II) porphyrins. Discuss how different ligand types have
been developed to meet this problem.
4. Naturally occurring porphyrin complexes are thought to have been
the precusor of vanadium and nickel porphyrins found in oil shales.
Briefly discuss how chlorphyll might be converted to
5. Discuss the preparation of tetraazamacrocycles from
Ni(diamines)2+ and aldehydes and ketones.
6. Distinguish between the Chelate Effect and the Macrocyclic Effect.
7. Discuss the effect of binding sites and ring size on the
coordination chemistry of macrocycles.
Return to Chemistry,
UWI-Mona, Home Page